Business register hold all non-agricultural legal unit
(enterprises and institutions) that perform their economic activity
inside Albanian territory.
- Albanian Law No 9180 date 05.02.2004 "For official statistics",
- Council Regulation (EEC) No 177/2008 of 20 February 2008 on
Community coordination in drawing up business registers for
- Decision of Albanian Parliament No. 3/2013 date
14/02/2013 "On Official Statistics Program 2012-2016";
- Decision of Albanian Government "On nomenclature of economic
activities" No. 327 date 18.07.1994;
- Albanian Law No 8957 date 17.10.2002 "For small and medium
enterprises, SME", amended by the Law No. 10042 date
The variables of Business Register are broadly divided
into these categories:
- ID number (NIPT), Legal form, Ownership, Name, Address,
Communication (Tel, Fax, etc.)
- Main economic activity, Size by employed, Geographical
location, Institutional sector
- Date of creation, Date of cessation
The sources for updating of variables
- Information from National Registration Centre (NRC);
- Information from General Directory of Taxation(GDT);
- VAT file
- Annual account of enterprises.
- Newly Created Enterprises survey;
- Annual Structure Survey;
- Quarterly survey, STS;
- Production Price survey, PPI;
- Other surveys.
Updating variables are:
- Activity status (active or inactive);
- Main economic activity;
- Size by employed;
- Communication variables (tel, fax, mobile phone, e-mail,).
Enterprises economic activity is based on Nomenclatures for
Economic Activities, NACE Rev.2
Legal unit is not direct statistical unit. Legal unit can
- Legal person, whose existence is recognized by law
independently of the individuals or institutions which may own or
are members of him;
- Physical person, who is engaged in an economic activity in its
An enterprise is: "the smallest combination of legal units that
is an organisational unit producing goods or services which
benefits from a certain degree of autonomy in decision-making,
especially for the allocation of its current resources. An
enterprise carries out one or more activities at one or more
locations (local unit)".
The relationship between an enterprise and a legal unit is
therefore defined as: "the enterprise corresponds either to a legal
unit or to a combination of legal units".
The local unit is an enterprise or part thereof (e.g. a
workshop, factory, warehouse, office, mine or depot) situated in a
geographically identified place. At or from this place economic
activity is carried out for which - save for certain exceptions -
one or more persons work (even if only part-time) for one and the
The classification of Economic Activities (NACE) is a four-digit
classification performed by different subjects.
This classification in Albania is adopted by Government Decision
No. 320, date 28.05.2014.
This document is the translation and adoption of Classification
of Economic Activities of European Union, NACE Rev.2.
Enterprise birth rate of a given reference period is the number
of births as a percentage of the population of active
material on NACE Rev. 2
Changes from NACE Rev.1.1 to NACE Rev.2
MAIN CHARACTERISTICS OF ENTERPRISES, 2013
register is served for statistical purposes and clearly
have to identify units in order to:
- Permit the collection of information about them via
- Provide a sampling base for surveys, coordination of surveys,
and for grossing up survey results;
- Permit demographic analysis of the population of enterprises
and their associated units.
Business register is a base for the
compilation of the statistics needed to provide indicators of both
short-term and structural economic developments.
Business Register is based on: administrative
sources provided by General Directory of Taxation (GDT) and by
National Registration Centre (NRC) and surveys conducted by INSTAT
and other statistical agencies.
Statistics with comments, 2013
- 111,083 enterprises are active at the end of 2013 comparing
with 1.6,387 active enterprises in 2012;
- 123,332 local units carry out their economic activity in
This year are 4,700 enterprise more than
2012; Prefecture of Tirana has 4,182 enterprises more compared with
2012, while prefectures of Durrës and Shkodër have decrease
respectively by 1.026 and 598 enterprises;
- 12,131 is the number of new enterprises in 2013 while in 2012
it was 12,828. 36.9 % of new enterprises carry out trade economic
activity. In trade group "wholesale trade, except of motor vehicles
and motorcycles" dominate by 72.5 % ;
- 84.8 % of active enterprises are producer of services. During
2013 operate 3,817 enterprises more than 2012;
- 797 enterprises are classified as biggest taxpayer;
- 54.1 % of foreign and joint enterprises have origin from Italy
- 27.8 % of enterprises are managed by female.
Enterprises with main activity trade, accommodation and food
service activities dominate with 56.4 %.
Trade activity is more favourites in decision for a new activity
and represents 36.9 % of new enterprises.
Producers of goods dominate in industry economic activity, 61.4
Producers of services dominate in trade economic activity, 47.6
Industry and other services activities such as: education,
health and financial intermediation represent 76.5 % of enterprises
with 50 and more employed.
About 90 % of enterprises are with 1-4 employed. The most part,
69 %, have only one self-employer.
Large enterprises with 50 and more employed represent in number
1.3 %, but their contribution on employment is very sensitive, 26.7
About 52 % of active enterprises are concentrated in prefectures
of Tirana and Durrës.
Domination of producers of services is an occurrence in all
prefectures, varying from 80.0 % in prefecture of Vlora up to 87.5
% in prefecture of Tirana.
In 2013 enterprise birth rate is 10.9 % from 12.2 % in 2012.
During 2013 are created 12,131 new enterprises.
Prefecture of Tirana has the highest birth rate by 12.9 %, while
prefecture of Berat has the lowest level by 7.7 %.
Foreign and joint enterprises
4,654 enterprises have foreigner owner or part-owner. 5.75 % of
the total foreign and joint enterprises are enterprises with 50 and
more employed but hire 75.7 % of total employed.
Big enterprises in this group carry out economic activity mainly
in: produced clothes and shoes, financial activity and electricity
80 per cent of foreign and joint enterprises are concentrated in
prefectures of Tirana and Durrës.
27.8 % of total active enterprises manage by female.
33.4 % of trade economic activity is managed by female.
14.4 % of enterprises with 50 and more employed are managed by
30.4 % of enterprises in prefecture of Tirana are managed by
female, while the lowest level is in prefecture of Kukës by 15.1
29.3 % of enterprises created during 2013 are managed by
From 111,083 active enterprises in 2013, 108,767 of them operate
only in one location and is considered one local unit.
2,316 enterprises carry out their economic activity in more than
one location. They cover 2 % of total active enterprises and
hire 33 % of total number of employed.
78.7 % of local unit are concentrated in urban area and 56 % of
them carry out their economic activity in prefectures of Tirana and